Thursday, December 9, 2010

Why Math?

A few weeks ago I listened to Conrad Wolfram's TED talk and I started jumping around the room when I got to the 4:00 minute mark. His slide with four points on it matched beautifully the discussion I have each year with my students about why we do math. Inspired and validated by his remarks, I produced this video capturing the essence of the conversation I have with my students about, "Why Math?"



Now it may seem like a video about "Why Math?" does not fit well with a new blog about technology transforming pedagogical practice, but hold on. After the next video (Why Calculus?) I will explore what I see as a problem with math education and the role of technology in the solution.

Until then, whether you have taught or been taught in a math classroom, let me know how you would answer the question, "Why Math?"

1 comment:

  1. I like the introductory video and I look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete